The Methodist Church offers two main levels of Safeguarding Training – Foundation and Advance (formerly Leadership). Both come under the heading “Creating Safer Space”.
The Training being run at South Parade at 0930 on Saturday 25th May is Foundation level training, and it is the “Foundation Refresher” course aimed at all those who need a top up having previously done the Foundation Module within the last four years or so.
Who Needs To Attend
Core list – required attendance
- Presbyters with an active preaching or pastoral ministry
- Deacons with an active preaching or pastoral ministry
- Pre-ordination students and probationers
- Lay employees and volunteer workers with pastoral responsibility l Pastoral visitors
- Anyone working with 0-18 year-olds in the name of the Church
- Anyone working in activities targeted at adults who are vulnerable (eg luncheon club for the housebound)
- Church stewards
- Circuit stewards
- Local preachers
- Worship leaders
- Those training for local preaching or worship leading
- Church and circuit safeguarding representatives
- Choir/music group/drama leaders – where there are 0-18 year-olds or vulnerable adults in the group.
- District staff especially policy committee members, complaints and discipline, mediators
- Core teaching staff at Methodist Church training institutions
- Connexional staff with direct safeguarding links (eg children and youth workers)
- ‘Covenant of Care’ group members
- Members of the Connexional Complaints Committee
- Any student who will be undertaking a mission placement
- Young leaders (ages 16-18)
- Members of the Safeguarding Committee
Warmly invited but not mandatory
- Evangelism/mission enablers
- Leaders of other organisations, working with 0-18 year-olds or vulnerable adults, who use church premises
- Remaining choir/music group/drama leaders
- Any other group leaders within the church, who may have adults within their particular group who are vulnerable
- Property stewards and other keyholders
- Church/circuit meeting secretaries
- Church/circuit/district administrators
- Remaining district and connexional staff
- Remaining teaching staff at Methodist Church training institutions
What Do I Need To Read Beforehand?
It would be a huge help if you could familiarise yourself with the Policies, Procedures and Guidance from the Methodist Church Website. That’s a big document, but it really helps to know what’s in it so that you can refer to it as a resource.
You will all be given a copy of the Foundation Module Handbook, but it wouldn’t hurt to see it beforehand and familiarise yourself with the contents.
How do I Book?
Please book by emailing Nikki Murcott (email address in Circuit Newsletter).